When it comes to data visualization, Power BI along with Tableau are the leading choice for the companies. In this post, we’re going to list a few best power BI books for beginners to get started. Earlier, we’ve shared some best tableau books as well which you can look to get started.If you’re confused which one to choose, here is a detailed guide on tableau vs power bi. Once you have decided which visualization tool is better for you, start with either these best power bi books or look for the top tableau books for beginners.
In fact, as per the recent Gartner quadrant for visualization tools, Power BI has come to the top spot as well. And so, you can think of how popular this has become. And so, for all the analytics professionals, Power BI is quite required. And what can be better than power books to get started with this amazing Microsoft’s visualization tool.
5 best power bi books for beginners
Let’s start and see which call top power bi books have made it to the list and discuss the details. We’ve added the link to Amazon at the end of all books so that you can check the details and order it.
#1 Mastering Microsoft Power BI [Check pricing & details]
Book Name: Mastering Microsoft Power BI: Expert techniques for effective data analytics and business intelligence
Authors: Brett Powell
Number of Pages: 638
Mastering Microsoft Power BI is one of the best power bi books for beginners to get started. The book has been designed for the BI professionals for the design and development of power bi reports. You’ll learn to create the sustainable and impactful power bi datasets, dashboards, and reports. With this power bi book, you’ll learn majorly-
- Create efficient data retrieval and transformation processes with the Power Query M Language
- Design and develop scalable, user-friendly DirectQuery and Import Data Models
- Develop impactful and interactive reports and dashboards
- Manage and monitor the Power BI Service and the On-premises data gateway
- Deploy the solutions and scale it for the larger audiences
The book has been designed considering the beginner in mind and has taken to the advanced level. And so, is suitable for all kind of audiences.
#2 Beginning Power BI [check pricing & details]
Book Name: Beginning Power BI: A Practical Guide to Self-Service Data Analytics with Excel 2016 and Power BI Desktop
Authors: Dan Clark
Number of Pages: 368
Beginning Power BI is another leading power bi book for beginner. Here Dan has put all his experience to craft the book for complete beginner. He has taught and explained the concepts step by step with example and relevant exercise. With this book, you’ll learn the following-
- Data discovery, association, and cleansing in simple way
- Build analytical model
- Create interactive presentation and storytelling
- Learn how to work with geographical data and create map charts
- Publish and share dashboards and reports
This book is perfect for all Business analysts, database administrators, developers. And for everyone looking to get the best from the data.
#3 Analyzing Data with Power BI [check details & pricing]
Book Name: Analyzing Data with Power BI and Power Pivot for Excel (Business Skills)
Authors: Alberto Ferrari
Publisher: Microsoft Press
Number of Pages: 256
Analyzing Data with Power BI is a book by Alberto, an experienced data architect and has crafted this book completely for the beginner. You can gain the basics of data modelling, tables, relationship, and keys. Also, the book helps you familiarize with the basics of data warehouse like star schemas, snowflakes, and common modelling techniques. With this book, you’ll learn the following-
- Learn how to use multiple fact tables, like sales and purchases, in a complex data model
- Use and manage date-tables
- Track historical data and attributes to better answer the customer query
- Analyze events that have duration, including overlapping duration
- Learn what data model you need to answer your specific business questions
This power bi book has been developed for anyone looking to model the data and represent it.
#4 Microsoft Power BI Cookbook [check details & pricing]
Book Name: Microsoft Power BI Cookbook: Creating Business Intelligence Solutions of Analytical Data Models, Reports, and Dashboards
Authors: Brett Powell
Number of Pages: 802
Cookbook has always been a top choice when we try to learn any new technology and the same applies to power bi as well. The best power bi books can’t be completed without mention of this Microsoft Power BI Cookbook. Brett has crafted this book and he has a number of publications on this data visualization tool.
This top power bi books for beginner covers around 90 hands-on tech-recipe which will help you gain the practical knowledge. It shows the technical examples for all primary power BI tool and helps you gain the expertise. With this power bi cookbook, you’ll learn the following-
- Learn to clean, prepare, and connect data sources to power bi
- Explore self-service BI capabilities
- Build business logic and analysis into your solutions via the DAX programming language and dynamic, dashboard-ready calculations
- Make solution dynamic and scale it for a bigger audience
- Understand the differences and implications of DirectQuery, Live Connections, and Import-Mode Power BI datasets
- Deploy the solution on the cloud and take care of the security
This power book is for the beginners who look to get started with power bi and master it.
#5 Microsoft Power BI Quick Start Guide [check pricing & details]
Book Name: Microsoft Power BI Quick Start Guide: Build dashboards and visualizations to make your data come to life
Authors: Devin Knight, Brian Knight, Mitchell Pearson, and Manuel Quintana
Number of Pages: 200
Microsoft Power BI Quick Start Guide is another leading power bi for a beginner. This is a compact 200-pages book and Devin & his team has added all his experience to make it simple and impactful. The best thing about this best power bi book is, there are direct and point-to-point steps written to develop power bi dashboards. You won’t find any other topics like DWH or data cleaning. Just they have focused on the visualization and concepts of power bi. And so, if you’re looking for a point-to-point book to develop the dashboard, this book is for you.
Conclusion- Which is the best power bi book?
These were the top 5 power bi books for beginner. If you’re looking to learn power bi from scratch, you can select any of the above books. Although there are many more books as well but personally I found these leading and suitable for all kind of users.